Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bad Mom Award


What is up with people in this country being so uptight and completely over-reacting to everything? (I mean in comparison to other Western nations, not to countries where women have no rights). Specifically I refer to the backlash and outrage from moms over the new "grown up" Dora the Explorer for tweens. Some parents are claiming the new character looks too sexed up, with her short dress and shiny come-hither pink lips. I feel really sorry for these people's kids, who are probably gonna turn to drugs and casual sex as payback for their parents not letting them play with sexy Dora. Seriously though, if your daughter is gonna do naughty things before she's old enough, giving her a nun doll to play with isn't going to derail those desires and shenanigans. My parents let me watch all sorts of R-rated movies when I was 9 to 16, and I led a perfectly innocent and over-achieving childhood and even teenhood. I wish some parents today would take a chill pill. Especially when their concerns are completely moronic and unfounded, as in the case of poor older Dora, who I'm sure hasn't even kissed a Jonas brother doll yet.

4 comments:

  1. there are way too many other things to worry about that can hurt kids...

    what is jersey chasing?

    and who are the jonas brothers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen 8 year olds wearing dresses shorter than that. The new Dora is just dressing the same way all the slutty looking tweens are. Bratz are even worse. At least Dora is somewhat educational

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I mean, what's wrong with an 8 year old showing a little leg? If anything we should advocate eleven-teen year olds showing more leg!
    Any takers?
    No? ok, me neither. I was just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. jersey chasing is well defined in the Urban Dictionary, as well as in a column I wrote at Stanford many moons ago: http://daily.stanford.edu/article/2004/4/21/theWSpot
    (might have to copy/paste several times due to site maintenance)

    ReplyDelete